A. Read and learn the phrasal verbs and collocations
B. Read and learn the phrasal verbs and collocations
C. Choose the correct answer (do).
1. They say Gates _______ his wife _______.
a. did ... withb. did ... upc. did ... withoutd. did ... in
2. Look what the thieves __________ the furniture.
a. did ... inb. did ... toc. did ... byd. did ... with
3. The director cannot __________ a secretary.
a. do ... tob. do ... withoutc. do ... byd. do ... with
4. How long did you it take you to __________ your bike?
a. do ... upb. do ... byc. do ... withd. do ... without
5. He _________ well __________ his family.
a. does ... withb. does ... toc. does ... byd. does ... without
6. She refused to have anything to __________him since he was arrested for drinks and driving.
a. do tob. do byc. do withoutd. do with
D. Fill in the correct particle or preposition in the following sentences (make).
1. Can you make out the shape of the ship over the horizon?
2. Can you make me a suit from the length of cloth?
3. Can you make anything of this strange letter?
4. It'll cost a lot of money to make the room over.
5. After the concert the crowd made for the nearest door.
6. Will you come to make up the party?
7. School has made the boy into a coward.
E. Read the text and think of one word which best fits each space.
Write the words in the boxes provided.
Did You Want To Tell Me Something?
Dentists always ask questions when it is (1) impossible for you to answer.
My dentist had (2) just pulled out one of my teeth and had told me to (3) rest for a while.
I tried to say (4) something, but my mouth was (5) full of cotton-wool.
He knew I (6) collected birds' eggs and asked me (7) whether my collection was growing.
Then he asked (8) me how my brother was and whether I (9) liked my new job in London.
In answer (10) to these questions I either nodded (11) or made strange noises.
Meanwhile, my tongue was searching out (12) the hole where the tooth had been.
I (13) suddenly felt very worried, but could not say (14) anything
when the dentist at last (15) removed the cotton-wool from my mouth.
I was able to tell him (16) that he had pulled out the wrong tooth.