Examination Practice (Sequence of Tenses)
A. Change the verbs in brackets into the correct form
When the ambassador of Escalopia returned home from lunch, his wife (1) got (get) a shock.
He (2) looked (look) pale and his clothes (3) were (be) in a frightful state.
"What (4) has happened (happen)?" she (5) asked (ask).
"How (6) did your clothes (7) get (get?) into such a mess?"
"A fire extinguisher, dear," (8) answered (answer) the Ambassador dryly.
"University students (9) set (set) the Embassy on fire this morning."
"Good heavens!" (10) exclaimed (exclaim) his wife.
"The fire (11) broke out (break out) in the basement.
I (12) went down (go down) immediately, of course, and that fool, Horst, (13) aimed (aim) a fire extinguisher at me.
He (14) thought (think) I (15) was (be) on fire. I must definitely get that fellow posted."
The Ambassador's wife (16) went on (go on) asking questions, when she suddenly (17) noticed (notice) a big hole in his husband's hat.
"And how can you (18) explained (explain) that?" she (19) asked (ask).
"Oh, that," (20) said (say) the Ambassador.
Someone (21) fired (fire) a shot through my office window.
Accurate, don't you think? Fortunately, I (22) was not wearing (not wear) it at the time.
If I (23) had been (be), I (24) wouldn't have been able (be able) to get home for lunch?"
B. Choose the right answer
1. He _______________the city he _______________ before his marriage.
a) had remembered / had known
b) remembered / had known
c) remembered / know
2. It _________ only an hour since I ________ his place.
a) was / left
b) was / had left
c) had been / left
3. That evening I _________ a letter when I ________ dinner.
a) received / was having
b) received / had been had
c) received / am having
4. "Come in, Jane. We _________ you."
a) are expecting
c) have been expecting
5. He _________ writing the letters by 7 o'clock.
a) had finished
b) was finishing
6. We _________ this cottage long before the end of the spring.
a) have built
b) are building
c) have been building
7. She _________ from the chair in which she _________.
a) rose / sat
b) rose / had been sitting
c) rose / was sitting
8. "Hurry up! Your parents_________ about you."
a) are worrying
b) will worry
c) will be worrying
9. "I_________ you tomorrow if you still _________ help."
a) will help / need
b) am helping / need
c) will help / will need
10. "I_________ hungry. I_________ anything since yesterday."
a) am hungry / eat
b) have been hungry / have eaten
c) was hungry / hadn't eaten
C. Choose the right answer
1. He_________ for 20 years when he ________ his first car accident.
a) had driven / had
b) was driving / had had
c) had been driving / had
2. The children_________ because they ________ football all morning.
a) were exhausted / had been playing
b) were exhausted / were playing
c) had been exhausted / played
3. A statement _________ in Parliament before the war ________.
a) was made / broke out
b) had been made / broke out
c) had made / broke out
4. Marry _________ to the supermarket because the cupboards ________ all full.
a) must be / are
b) must have been / are
c) must have been / were
5. If I _________ better care of my teeth, I ________ this terrible toothache.
a) took / wouldn't have
b) take / wouldn't have had
c) had taken / wouldn't have had
Grammar & Vocabulary Practice
D. Раздел 3 (задание по грамматике и лексике)
Прочитайте приведённый ниже текст. Преобразуйте слова, напечатанные заглавными буквами в конце строк, обозначенных номерами B4-B13 так, чтобы они грамматически соответствовали содержанию текста. Заполните пропуски полученными словами. Каждый пропуск соответствует отдельному заданию B4-B13.
|B4||One of the most important achievements in||ACHIEVE|
|B5||the history of the motorcar was the development||DEVELOP|
|B6||of the Model-T Ford in 1913, which was the first car to be produced on a large scale. The inventor of this||INVENT|
|B7||method of production was Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Company. The production line, as it came to be known||KNOW|
|B8||offered employment to thousands||EMPLOY|
|B10||It cut costs as well, making cars affordable to consumers.||CONSUME|
|B11||In addition, the replacement of old work practices made cars more reliable,||RELY|
|B12||while numerous improvements to the interior of the car made driving a pleasure.||IMPROVE|
|B13||So, car owners have Henry Ford to thank for his enormous contribution to the car industry.||OWN|
Grammar & Vocabulary Practice
E. Use the correct form of the words in the boxes to complete the sentences.
You may use some of the words more than once. In some cases, more than one word may be correct.
1. The scientist demanded extra caution from the people who were moving his laboratory equipment.
2. When I give the signal, everyone shout "Happy Birthday".
3. If we had been given a couple of days' notice about the meeting, we would have been more organized.
4. The two students were given a(n) warning not to fight again in the school grounds, or they would be suspended.
5. Some people don't pay attention to their pets' needs and forget that they require a lot of care and affection.
6. This is a very expensive piece of equipment, so it must be handled with care.